Mozilla Thunderbird is an email client that is part of the Mozilla group. Similar to other email clients there are limitations to it including a restricted size for folders as well as attachment size and amount of accounts. If the accounts exceed its maximum capacity, email communications will cease. Therefore, you are able to backup the account and create more space to store the new information.
Additionally, there is an ongoing threat of software or hardware failure that can damage the data file in Thunderbird and wipe out the entire accounts. Thus, having backups is essential to any Thunderbird user. It is also possible to export emails to a drive and save them to another computer.
Benefits of the storage of Thunderbird emails to a hard drive
- Backup decreases its size,, making it more responsive to emails.
- Restoring emails in the hard drive may be useful in times of crisis, in which the mailbox of the initial has been corrupted.
- The security features of Thunderbird aren’t as robust as Outlook and therefore malware and spyware could quickly attack it. Making backups increases your chances of having greater data security.
- Since Thunderbird is an open-source program it doesn’t require continuous updates or technical support that can assist users.
How do I backup Mozilla Thunderbird Emails to hard drive
There isn’t an inbuilt feature to export directly the email to an offline format. However, there are two ways to save emails with more accuracy.
Use Import-Export Add-on in Thunderbird
There is an accessory tool that lets you export and import emails from an Thunderbird account. It can be found on the web site below:
Download an add-on and download it, and it is now ready to use.
Then, navigate to any folder within your mailbox, and right-click on it. The add-on will present the options for exporting and importing the information. Select to export all messages contained in the folder. Then select EML format.
Note: Since you’re planning to save your emails on an additional hard drive, you must select EML format. EML is the standard format used to store emails. If you wish to protect your emails by attaching attachments, you should select HTML format.
- Select the folder you wish to save email messages.
- The emails are stored inside the EML file as a single file. Double-clicking on any file and then read the contents.
- Transfer the emails to an external hard drives.
Backup Thunderbird profile
The Import-Export tool offers the capability to export a single folder only, however, the default approach of Thunderbird allows you to backup the your entire profile. Follow the steps below-
- Start the Thunderbird application, and click three vertical lines to show the menu options that are available to your account.
- Select Help Then select Troubleshooting Information..
- Navigate to Section for profile folder, then click the open option.
- Choose your Profile and then right-click it to copy it. Alternatively, you can go back three levels to select the entire Thunderbird folder, which contains all profiles.
- Close Thunderbird application.
- When you’ve copied your desired directory, navigate to the your desired folder on your hard drive and copy the information there.
Method 3. Utilize a professional application
If you’ve used the method mentioned above to export the Thunderbird emails via software or to save the entire profile, then you’ll know the difficulties in both ways. Therefore, you must employ professional Thunderbird backup software that will choose the information from different accounts inside Thunderbird as well as save it as one offline data file. Since the format of data files for Thunderbird uses MBOX as the format, you need an MBOX to PST Converter software.
If the users use Thunderbird professionally, they need to take a daily backup of their emails . An expert MBOX to Outlook Converter tool can do it effortlessly. The program can display the preview of your selected emails as well as other content and offer you the appropriate filters to filter out only the most important information. Beyond PST you can also archive emails using EML, HTML, MHTML, RTF, and many other formats.
Instead of being dependent on no-cost MBOX to PST convert method that offer limited benefits It is recommended to use Professional MBOX Converter to get the most effective results.