HCL Notes also referred to previously as IBM Notes is still not close to the popular email client. This is why a lot of users are switching to the Microsoft Outlook email client and to do that, NSF conversion of files to PST format is required since Outlook can only support PST files that format the database file. Conversion is the only way to transfer NSF information, however should the need of the user be just to open NSF files with Lotus Notes to have a preview of the email in search of the most urgent information, then alternatives should be considered.
Users are also able access to NSF files with no Notes application since they are abandoned NSF files from various sources and then moved to a new client environment, in line with current trends in business like mergers, acquisitions and switches due to costs (high cost of installation and maintenance) Complex user interfaces of Notes and a slow or ineffective Notes Server slow backup processes, benefits with other email clients , such as Outlook features, like multiple accounts and better organization of mailboxes, advanced anti-spam filtering, advanced security features, robust password encryptions more efficient storage and business practices, a more user-friendly email clients, etc.
What are the choices available?
If any person anywhere in the world wants the ability to access NSF files, it is possible to open them in Outlook email client. However, he is not able to do it by hand. Instead, it’s done by using a two-staged export process which takes time.
A simple method is also accessible for users to use, i.e., NSF Viewer tool which allows users to simply view and open NSF files with no HCL Notes. In this instance there is no requirement for any email clients in order to view NSF files.
Learn about both options through their fundamental working steps one-by one and learn about the differences.
Manual method of opening NSF documents without HCL Notes
This manual method will allow you to look at NSF data files within the Outlook application. The initial step is for exporting HCL Notes NSF emails into CSV file format . After that, you can upload this CSV file into Microsoft Outlook. Microsoft Outlook application using Import/Export feature.
Notification: Here you need both HCL Notes and Microsoft Outlook email client software.
1st Stage – Converting HCL Notes file into CSV format
- Start your Notes application and then open the NSF file for export by clicking on the File menu and then selecting the Open option.
- Go to File >>Export options.
- When you are in the Export window, enter an address where you can save your CSV file. Select the format of CSV (Comma Separated Value) and then click Export.
- The export process is initiated with it, will be completed and the CSV file will be stored at the address you specified.
- Transfer the CSV document to the computer on which the Outlook program is running on any device that is external. (If it is not already installed in the exact system).
2nd step: Importing CSV file Outlook application
- Open using the Outlook application. Navigate to File >> Open & Export >> Import/Export.
- Within the Import and Export wizard, choose Import from a different program or the file option. Select the next button.
- Then, choose the option for Comma Separated Values and then click the next button.
- In the next step you’ll have to browse and upload the CSV file that was just created by you at the previous step. Choose from the various choices (for the possibility of duplicates) and click Next.
- Choose where you want to go with the Outlook folder, click on include sub folders in the checkbox (if necessary) and then click next.
- Now, you can view NSF files data in Outlook application
Review: The method is slow, unresponsive, and time-consuming and requires two different email programs (HCL Notes and Microsoft Outlook) insecure, unstable and unsecure too. It is recommended only to experts or users with technical expertise to try.
Professional method of opening NSF documents without Lotus Notes
NSF Viewer tool is an automated solution that only needs good NSF files to be opened within the interface of the software. It allows users access NSF files and display an in-depth overview of the entire content. Utilizing this tool is easy and no technical knowledge is required generally. Install the program on its website as well as follow these instructions.
- Start the NSF Viewer tool and then click the “Search” option in order to include the NSF file. If you aren’t sure of where exactly it is, use the Find option to search for NSF files within a specific drive. After you have added the file, select the Convert option.
- On the following screen, NSF information will be extracted with detailed mailbox items, including calendars, contacts, etc. Select any item in the mailbox folder to view the contents and then choose any item for a full view or display.
- The preview contains the body’s content, headers and metadata, attachments, etc.
- So, you’ve successfully opened an NSF file with no HCL Notes
The more professional approach is superior in these aspects.
- Files can be opened NSF files without the need for any email client
- Users are spared from manual laborious processes
- It supports all Notes in addition to Windows OS versions
- Views Calendars Notes, Calendars, Calendars, Tasks and other information.
- Secure, safe and secure method of opening NSF file
- The full Version permits the saving of NSF files to PST and other formats.